5 Types Of Documents You Will Need To Teach English Abroad

You will need the right documents if you're pursuing an opportunity to teach abroad. This applies whether you're answering an advertisement or plan to seek a job once in the new destination. What you will need will vary depending on where you plan to teach English. However, some documents will almost always become necessities.

1. You Will Need a Passport

Very few places will welcome you without a passport. If you don't have a passport, you can apply for one at your local post office or through the official US government travel portal.

Mostly, you'll want a passport that still has at least six months left on it, and at least one blank page left. To stay on the safe side, consider a passport that still has over a year of validity left.

2. You Will Need the Right Visa

Most countries have visa requirements of some sort. You'll have to do the legwork to figure out the visa process of the country you plan on teaching in. You can usually figure it out by visiting the website of the country you plan to travel to. You can also contact the embassy of the country you want to visit.

Some countries have teaching-specific visas, while some others may allow you to come to the country on a tourist visa. Visiting a place and working in it can sometimes require multiple visas and quite the uphill battle to get them.

3. You Will Need Copies of All Identification Documents

Make copies of all your official identification documents. You may not need all of them, but to stay proactive, make copies of your:

  • Driver's License or State ID
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport's information page

You won't actually need your Social Security card, but you may need to put your social security number on some forms. Also, obtain some passport-sized photos. Some places will require you to send one with an application for a visa.

4. You Will Need Copies of All Your Professional Documents

If you plan to teach, you must plan to show your credentials. Make copies of your diplomas, resume, transcripts, and any certifications you have. Some countries will want you to send sealed copies of your college transcripts.

5. You Will Need Your Official Background Check

Many countries require a record of an official background check. You can use a state criminal background check, but to cover all bases, you should go with an FBI one.

Once you have all the documents you need, you will need to have them or their copies notarized and apostilled. Notarization isn't too much of a problem, but authenticating your documents with an apostille isn't always easy. Sending your documents to an apostille service can help speed up the process.

For more information, contact a company like ApostilleInt.